Saturday 23 August 2008

If you wanna be a … [sing it] record breaker…

… Dedication's what you need.

Anyone born in the 60s will remember the classic 1970s kids TV show Record Breakers, hosted by the late Roy Castle (first-rate brass player; third-rate singer) and the highly irritating lyrics of the show's theme tune:
"If you wanna be the best
If you wanna beat the rest … …"
It didn't sink in at the time - more's the pity - that Roy was right: dedication IS what you need.

I've slumped on the sofa in awe for the last two weeks as Team GB has worked its magic in the Bird's Nest, the Water Cube, and the Laoshan Velodrome [of which more anon] and there's no doubt about the dedication on display. But there's also a fair dollop of borderline lunacy too. Who in their right mind would swim 10km in a slime-filled open water circuit with Russians pulling at your ankles? Bonkers.

But they are certainly dedicated; and it's fascinating. Why do some people have such determination while others give up at the first, second, or (if they're pushed a bit) third hurdle?

I read Paula Radcliffe's autobiography (My story so far) to try to find out, but I'm none the wiser (fascinating though it was; and eugh, those ice baths, brrrr). The blurb on the back of the book asks: "What has driven this 'quintessential girl next door' to achieve so much… ?" But we're never given a straight answer, other than a hint that it's something that's in her blood: "I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't run".

Clearly, Paula and I are poles apart. I can remember a day when I did run - just the one. It sticks out in my mind because, buoyed up by swanky new running shoes (to give me better support while walking the dog!) I tried to jog along one side (yup, just the one side) of the footy pitch in the field behind my house. I gave the dog a fright, and thought I was about to have a coronary!

I do envy the athletes their passion, though. They are totally and utterly dedicated to their goal. It must be devastating when they don't achieve it, but they just seem to pick themselves up and try again.

It has to be said, though, that they do have a great support network behind them, so maybe that's part of the key - you don't want to let your trainers/team-mates down.

For us lesser mortals, it's hard to keep up the momentum. Plodding on is as much as most of us can manage, with the occasional sprint when a work-related deadline's in view. I guess if I were hungrier, that might have a significant impact on my determination; but it's also partly to do with the goals I've chosen to give myself.

Passing Grade 4 piano is my goal for this year, and so far I'm pretty wide of the mark - not having touched the keys since the school holidays started. Only a week to go 'til my first lesson, and teacher will not be best pleased. But as he also has one eye on the fact that I'm a paying "customer" he won't be half as hard on me as the legendary Miss Watts was in my school days (rap on the knuckles with a ruler, anyone?). So if anyone's reading this, do me a favour and start nagging!

No comments: