Saturday 12 July 2008

This freelance life

This month I'm "celebrating" 20 years as a professional writer/editor, and I'm into my 9th year as a home-working freelance.

I've done the things they recommend for keeping sane when you work alone - networking, news-groups and the like. They're great for procrastination; and sometimes I've been able to help out fellow editors who've been stumped by this strange language of ours. But it's just not the same as calling across the office to say "Did you see such-and-such on the telly last night?" or "I can't believe he just said that..."

And that's why I'm here. This blog will be a series of short snippets I've picked up as I go about my day - on the school run, walking the dog, listening to the radio, watching the TV, or reading the papers (mainly The Guardian and New Scientist). If you want to join in the chat, feel free. But hey, go easy on me! I might once have been nick-named the "Yorkshire Terrier", but I'm definitely more bark than bite.

1 comment:

None said...

performance reviews are definitely worth avoiding